by John Simon, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, 1709 or after
Artistsback to top
Events of 1709back to top
Current affairsPolitical struggle develops between the Whigs and Queen Anne over the succession to the post of Lord High Admiral following the death of the queen's consort, Prince George. The Whig, Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, eventually wins the post.
Unusually cold winter in England and across Europe.
Art and sciencePublisher and secretary of the Kit-cat Club, Jacob Tonson, senior and poet John Dryden, include Alexander Pope's first publication, his poem, Pastorals, in the sixth edition of their Miscellany Poems.
Dramatist, Nicholas Rowe, edits the first modern edition of Shakespeare's plays.
The Tatler is founded by essayist Sir Richard Steele.
InternationalAmbassador to The Hague, Charles Townshend, Viscount Townshend, negotiates the barrier treaty with Holland, guaranteeing provision of fortresses in the Southern Netherlands and safeguarding the Hanoverian succession in England. Townshend also enters serious negotiations for peace with France.
Battle of Malplaquet results in stalemate between the warring factions.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.