by James Scott, after Thomas Gainsborough
mezzotint, 1850s-1880s (1766-1769)
11 1/4 in. x 6 3/4 in. (285 mm x 171 mm) plate size; 13 5/8 in. x 11 1/2 in. (345 mm x 292 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Artist - Gainsborough
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Only Connect - David Garrick <> Karl Abel
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Duplicate of The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Gainsborough's Family Album
Until 9 June