31 of 56 portraits of David Garrick
by Thomas Watson, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
mezzotint, (circa 1775?)
14 1/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (360 mm x 289 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1964
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1775back to top
Current affairsAct of Parliament extends inventor James Watt's patent (first granted in 1769) and the first steam engines are built under it.
First known building society - Ketley's Building Society - is established in Birmingham by Richard Ketley, landlord of the Golden Cross Inn.
Art and scienceFirst performance of Richard Brinsley Sheridan's play The Rivals at the Covent Garden Theatre in London.
Artist J.M.W. Turner is born.
Satirist James Gillray's first engravings and etchings are published.
Navigator Captain Cook publishes his discovery of a preventive cure against scurvy, in the form of a regular ration of lemon juice.
InternationalWar of American Independence begins with British defeat at Lexington and Concord and lasts until 1783. British achieve a narrow and costly victory over the Americans at the Battle of Bunker Hill. Edmund Burke delivers a speech to the British Parliament on conciliation with the American colonies.
First performance of Pierre Beaumarchais' comic opera The Barber of Seville in Paris.
Pope Pius VI succeeds Pope Clement XIV as the 251st pope.
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Only Connect - David Garrick <> Karl Abel
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- Brilliant Women
- Self-Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary
- 2018 Anniversaries
- 2020 Anniversaries
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints