by Anthony Wysard
watercolour, published 1937
15 3/8 in. x 19 1/4 in. (394 mm x 493 mm)
Artistback to top
- Anthony Wysard (1907-1984), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 58 portraits, Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x35332: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG P1126: Laurence Olivier ()
- NPG x135050: The opening night of 'The Private Life of Henry VIII' ()
- NPG x193443: Charles Laughton; Elsa Lanchester ()
- NPG P138: Alfred Hitchcock ()
- NPG P396: Googie Withers ()
- NPG 6121: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x24595: Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG x24596: Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG x199015: Charles Laughton as Henry VIII and Jean Simmons as Elizabeth I in 'Young Bess' ()
- NPG x49134: Dorothy Gish ()
- NPG x136346: Anna Neagle; Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG P593: Alfred Hitchcock ()
- NPG x11868: Elsa Lanchester; Charles Laughton ()
- NPG D278: Charles Laughton as Rembrandt ()
- NPG x12266: Charles Laughton; Alexander Korda; Gertrude Lawrence ()
- NPG x126889: Stars of the British Screen ()
- NPG P236: Laurence Olivier ()
- NPG P490(39): Alfred Hitchcock ()
- NPG x34540: Richard Todd ()
- NPG x76565: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG P281: Charlie Chaplin ()
- NPG x75968: Googie Withers ()
- NPG x32925: Freddie Young; Herbert Wilcox; Anton Walbrook as Prince Albert; Anna Neagle as Queen Victoria ()
- NPG Ax136130: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x135051: The opening night of 'The Private Life of Henry VIII' ()
- NPG x21542: Stan Laurel (né Arthur Stanley Jefferson) ()
- NPG x193451: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x88146: Alfred Hitchcock ()
- NPG x14154: Anna Neagle ()
- NPG P1309: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x34545: Charles Laughton as Henry VIII in 'The Private Life of Henry VIII' ()
- NPG x87111: Stewart Granger ()
- NPG D312: Diners at Denham Studios Restaurant ()
- NPG x12265: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x34526: Googie Withers in 'Convict 99' ()
- NPG P366: Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x24598: Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG x3564: Alfred Hitchcock ()
- NPG x135052: Anna Neagle and Herbert Wilcox on the set of 'The Queen's Affair' ()
- NPG x184002: John Rothenstein; Charles Laughton ()
- NPG x198465: Nelson Waite Keys; Dorothy Gish; Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG x88035: Richard Todd ()
- NPG x24597: Herbert Wilcox ()
- NPG x126895: Stars of the British Screen ()
- NPG x139797: Vivien Leigh as Libby and Charles Laughton as Charles Staggers in 'St Martin's Lane' ()
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.