by William Rogers, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1598
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1598back to top
Current affairsDeath of William Cecil, Lord Burghley. His son, Sir Robert Cecil (later Earl of Salisbury), replaces him as the dominant statesman of the age.
Battle of Yellow Ford: A force of Irish Catholic rebels under Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone routs the English army in Ireland.
Following raids on Dublin, Queen Elizabeth I is granted a loan from the City to finance troops in Ireland under Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex.
Art and scienceThe playwright Ben Jonson writes the comedy Every Man in his Humour.
William Shakespeare writes Much Ado about Nothing.
The historian John Stowe publishes A Survey of London, a unique account of the architecture, living conditions and society of Elizabethan London.
InternationalHenry IV of France passes the Edict of Nantes. Huguenots are granted freedom of worship and political equality with Catholics. The edict concludes the French Wars of Religion.
The Treaty of Vervins ends war between Henry IV of France and Philip II of Spain. Spanish forces leave France and Calais is returned to the French.
Death of Philip II of Spain.
Death of Feodor I, Tsar of Russia. His brother-in-law Boris Godunov seizes the throne.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints