10 of 37 portraits of Lord Byron
by Charles Turner, published by Anthony Molteno, after Richard Westall
mezzotint, published 15 July 1815 (1813)
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- Anthony Molteno (active 1783-1830), Printseller and bookseller. Artist or producer associated with 22 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist or producer associated with 620 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Richard Westall (1765-1836), History painter. Artist or producer associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Events of 1815back to top
Current affairsJohn and James Leigh Hunt are released from prison after a two year sentence for slandering the Prince of Wales in their outspoken, radical periodical the Examiner.
Corn Laws are introduced to protect against the collapse in prices which would inevitably follow peace with France, prompting riots in London.
Art and scienceHumphry Davy invents the miners' safety lamp though its reception is clouded by William Clanny and George Stephenson who present rival models in the same year.
British Institution arranges first in innovative series of Old Master exhibitions
provoking virulent attack on its patrons for neglecting contemporary art.
InternationalNapoleon returns to France from exile in Elba and resumes power until his abdication on 22 June; a period known as the 'Hundred Days'.
Battle of Waterloo concludes the Anglo-French struggle that had lasted more than a century. Peace of Vienna establishes Britain's global political, economic and imperial dominance which lasts for the next hundred years.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Regency familiar faces
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Sir Henry Charles Englefield
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.