Queen Mary II
12 of 97 portraits of Queen Mary II
Queen Mary II
by John Griffier, after Sir Peter Lely
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 97 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds.
Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.
InternationalTerms of a secret treaty between Charles II and Louis XIV are brought by Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans during a visit to Dover; upon England supplying the majority of military power for a war against Holland and Charles's official conversion to Catholicism, France would assist financially.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints