19 of 36 portraits by Thomas Bowles Jr
by and sold by John Faber Jr, sold by Thomas Bowles Jr, sold by John Bowles, after Claude Arnulphy
mezzotint, 1744 (1743)
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
- Claude Arnulphy (1697-1786), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Bloomsbury Square; St Paul's Church Yard; Black Horse in Cornhill, London)
Events of 1744back to top
Current affairsJohn Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville resigns over criticism of his foreign policy. Henry Pelham and Thomas Pelham-Holles, Duke of Newcastle form the 'Broad-Bottom Administration'.
HMS Victory is wrecked on the Casquets in the Channel Islands with the loss of around 900 lives.
Art and sciencePhilosopher David Hume publishes his Essays Moral and Political.
Poet Alexander Pope dies.
First known Laws of cricket are drawn up by a group of noblemen and gentlemen who use the Artillery Ground in London.
InternationalNavigator George Anson returns home after sailing around the world.
War of the Austrian Succession: Prussia marches on Prague, initiating the Second Silesian War. British fleet defeated by a Franco-Spanish fleet at the Battle of Toulon. Bad weather causes the French to abandon invasion of Britain with the Scottish pretender Charles Edward Stuart. The Quadruple Alliance of Britain, Austria, Saxony-Poland and the Netherlands is formed against Prussia.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints