17 of 20 portraits by Joseph Allen
by Samuel William Reynolds, and by Samuel Cousins, published by Agnew & Zanetti, after Joseph Allen
mezzotint, published 20 April 1824
19 3/4 in. x 12 1/2 in. (503 mm x 316 mm) plate size; 25 3/8 in. x 18 7/8 in. (645 mm x 481 mm) paper size
Given by Messrs Thomas Agnew, 1932
Artistsback to top
- Agnew & Zanetti (active 1823-1837), Publishers. Artist associated with 35 portraits.
- Joseph Allen (1769-1839), Painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
- Samuel Cousins (1801-1887), Engraver. Artist associated with 168 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 629 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, Greater Manchester (94 Market Street, Manchester)
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints