5 of 16 portraits by Edward Bell
by Edward Bell, published by Peter Brown, published by John Paul Manson, after Samuel De Wilde
mezzotint, published 1 January 1796
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- Edward Bell (active 1794-1819), Painter and mezzotinter. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- Peter Brown (active 1790-1809), Printseller and picture dealer. Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- Samuel De Wilde (baptised 1751-1832), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 60 portraits.
- John Paul Manson (active 1786-1824), Book and printseller. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Crown Street, Soho, London; 6 Pall Mall, London)
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.
Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.
Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.
Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.
John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints