2 of 3 portraits of Peter Rainier
by Charles Turner, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, published 1824
9 in. x 5 5/8 in. (228 mm x 144 mm) plate size; 9 5/8 in. x 6 1/8 in. (243 mm x 154 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Sir Henry Charles Englefield
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.