Sir Joshua Reynolds
20 of 38 portraits of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Sir Joshua Reynolds
by Samuel William Reynolds, published by Peter Brown, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
mezzotint, published 1 January 1796 (circa 1747-1749)
13 7/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (352 mm x 265 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 38 portraits, Artist associated with 1413 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Peter Brown (active 1790-1809), Printseller and picture dealer. Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 628 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 393
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings (17 April 2004 - 5 September 2004)
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.
Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.
Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.
Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.
John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.