1 of 15 portraits of Edmund Spenser
after Unknown artist
mezzotint, late 18th century
6 in. x 4 3/8 in. (152 mm x 112 mm) plate size; 8 1/8 in. x 5 in. (206 mm x 127 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Events of 1701back to top
Current affairsExiled James II dies in France. Various parts of his body are interred in a number of churches around the country; his corpse is buried in the English church in the Faubourg St. Jacques.
The Act of Settlement is passed, securing the throne to the Protestant Hanoverians.
Art and scienceSupported by the Bishop of London, Henry Compton, The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, founded by Thomas Bray, obtains a royal charter.
Publication of The Christian Hero, the first major work by essayist Richard Steele.
InternationalWar of the Spanish Succession ensues. William III restores the grand alliance against France determined to prevent Louis XIV from installing his grandson, Philip of Anjou, upon the Spanish throne. The grand alliance, resolute upon a Habsburg succession in Spain, wished to prevent the country's unification with France.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.