15 of 15 portraits of Pietro Vermigli
by Richard Houston, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, published 1759
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Pietro Vermigli (1499-1562), Reformer, Theologian and known as 'Peter Martyr'. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1759back to top
Current affairsBritish Museum opens to the public at Montagu House, based on the collections of the physician and scientist Sir Hans Sloane.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew are created.
David Garrick writes Heart of Oak, the official march of the Royal Navy, to celebrate a year of British victories.
Art and scienceFirst volume of Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy is published.
Artist Thomas Gainsborough moves to Bath.
A Journey Through Europe; or, A Play of Geography, the earliest British board game, is produced and sold.
Clockmaker John Harrison produces his 'No. 1 sea watch', the first successful marine chronometer.
InternationalSeven Years' War: British commander General James Wolfe is victorious at the Battle of Quebec and takes Quebec city, but dies in the engagement. At the Battle of Quiberon Bay, off the coast of Brittany, the British fleet are victorious over the French.
Portuguese expel the Jesuits from Brazil, beginning a widespread reaction against the order in Catholic Europe.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints