by John Faber Jr, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, circa 1725-1750
8 in. x 6 in. (202 mm x 152 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1725back to top
Current affairsNotorious 'Thief Taker General' Jonathan Wild is hanged at Tyburn. He ran one of the most successful gangs of thieves of the era, while appearing to be the nation's leading policeman.
Pardoned Jacobite leader Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke forms an opposition to the Prime Minister Robert Walpole.
Order of the Bath is founded by King George I.
Art and sciencePoet Alexander Pope produces a new edition of Shakespeare, which he rewrites and edits in numerous places.
Philosopher Francis Hutcheson publishes his first major work An Inquiry into the Original of our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue, published in two treatises concerning aesthetics and morality.
InternationalRussian tsar Peter the Great dies.
Treaty of Hanover between England, France and Prussia.
Composer Antonio Vivaldi debuts the set of violin concertos known as The Four Seasons.
Composer Johann Sebastian Bach debuts his Easter Oratorio in Leipzig.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- The artist's porte-crayon
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.