3 of 7 portraits of Robert Wodelarke
by John Faber Sr, after Unknown artist
10 1/4 in. x 7 7/8 in. (261 mm x 201 mm) plate size; 10 1/2 in. x 8 1/8 in. (268 mm x 207 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Robert Wodelarke (died 1481?), Founder of St Catharine's College, Cambridge. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1714back to top
Current affairsQueen Anne dies at Kensington Palace aged 49, on 1st August. The same day, under the Act of Regency, the regency council proclaims James I's great-grandson, George, elector of Hanover, king of Great Britain and Ireland, thus transferring the crown from the house of Stuart to the house of Hanover.
Art and scienceWriter and politician, Sir Richard Steele, accepts the post of governorship for the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.
Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Tenison, founds one of the first co-educational schools in Croydon.
The Longitude Act offers a reward for the invention of a method of precisely determining a ship's longitude.
InternationalDespite the peace accord at Utrecht in 1713, ratification of the treaties of Rastatt and Baden are required to end the continued hostilities in the War of the Spanish Succession between the French king Louis XIV and Charles VI Archduke of Austria and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.