King Edward I
17 of 25 portraits of King Edward I
King Edward I
by George Vertue, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1734
Artistsback to top
Events of 1734back to top
Current affairsBank of England moves to its present building in Threadneedle Street, London, designed by the architect John Soane.
Engravers' Copyright Act, known as 'Hogarth's Act' is passed to prevent the piracy of prints.
Prime Minister Robert Walpole wins his third General Election victory.
Art and scienceArtist James Thornhill dies.
William Hogarth completes A Rake's Progress series of paintings. .
Society of Dilettanti is founded in London; a group of noblemen and scholars who had been on the Grand Tour and aim to promote the study of ancient Greek and Roman art.
Oriental scholar George Sale translates the Qu'ran into English for the first time.
InternationalFrench, Sardinian and Spanish troops defeat Austrians throughout Italy. Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI declares war on France.
Composer Johann Sebastian Bach debuts his Christmas Oratorio in Leipzig.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints