Sir Peter Lely
3 of 19 portraits of Sir Peter Lely
Sir Peter Lely
by Arnold de Jode, published by Richard Tompson, after Sir Peter Lely
line engraving, circa 1666
14 in. x 11 in. (357 mm x 280 mm) paper size, cut
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist associated with 843 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Arnold de Jode (circa 1638-1667), Engraver. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Richard Tompson (died 1693), Publisher, printseller, auctioneer and dealer. Artist associated with 116 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1666back to top
Current affairsThe Great Fire of London starts in a baker's shop in Pudding Lane, destroying two-thirds of the city. Charles II and James, Duke of York personally direct and manually assist with the fire-fighting effort. Thousands are left homeless, though few people die.
Art and scienceMathematical scientist, Isaac Newton, formulates a series of groundbreaking theories concerning light, colour, calculus, and, after supposedly watching an apple fall from a tree, the universal law of gravitation.
Nicholas Lanier, Master of the King's Music dies and Frenchman Louis Grabu is appointed the post.
InternationalThe Four Days' Battle. Dutch navy led by Admiral Michiel de Ruyter attacks the English fleet under George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, now Joint- Commander-in-Chief with Prince Rupert. Outcome of the battle is indecisive, though England loses twice as many men and ships, severely damaging the fleet.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Early history of mezzotint
- Prints catalogue Tompson
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints