possibly Richard Mead
possibly Richard Mead
by Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1710-1750
7 5/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (195 mm x 171 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1961
Events of 1710back to top
Current affairsClergyman Henry Sacheverell is impeached on account of his sermons in which he attacks the Whig government and the revolution settlement of 1688-9. The trial caused rioting, and revived Jacobites sentiments and resentment against the government.
Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford, returns to Parliament as Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Art and scienceThe Examiner, a Tory government propaganda journal devised by Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford and Henry St. John, Viscount Bolingbroke, is published. Under its editor, Jonathan Swift, the weekly sheet defended the policies of the new Tory government. The Whigs responded with The Medley, principally written by Arthur Maynwaring.
InternationalFollowing the victories at the Battles of Almenara and Saragossa in the War of the Spanish Succession, the allied forces experience a set back at the Battle of Brihuega during which, James Stanhope, Earl of Stanhope, Commander in Chief of the British Forces in Spain, is taken prisoner.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.