by Conrad Cook, published by William Mackenzie, after Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton
stipple and line engraving, mid 19th century
11 in. x 7 3/8 in. (279 mm x 187 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Whitin Fund, 1955
Artistsback to top
- Conrad Cook (active 1831-1850). Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton (1830-1896), Painter; President of the Royal Academy; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Artist associated with 8 portraits, Sitter in 59 portraits.
- William Mackenzie (active mid 19th century), Publishers. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Glasgow, Edinburgh, London & New York)
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Leighton Family Portraits
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Frederic Leighton
- Only Connect - Frederic Leighton <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Charles Mathews
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Nicolo Paganini
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Isambard Brunel
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.