Sir Dudley North
Sir Dudley North
by George Vertue, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1743
8 1/4 in. x 6 3/8 in. (210 mm x 163 mm) plate size; 9 in. x 7 1/8 in. (230 mm x 180 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Sir Dudley North (1641-1691), Financier and economist; son of 4th Baron North. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1743back to top
Current affairsHenry Pelham becomes Prime Minister, following the death of Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington.
Last wolf in the British Isles is reputedly killed in Scotland.
Second Gin Act further attempts to deal with the widespread abuse of gin.
Art and sciencePortrait-painter Michael Dahl dies.
Physician and cartographer Christopher Packe produces the first geological map of south-east England.
Final edition of Alexander Pope's literary satire The Dunciad is published.
InternationalWar of the Austrian Succession: Battle of Dettingen is fought in Bavaria. King George II leads the troops to victory over the French; the last time a British monarch participates in a battle. George Frideric Handel writes the oratorio Dettingen Te Deum in celebration. Treaty of Worms signed between Great Britain, Austria and Sardinia. France and Spain form the Alliance of Fontainebleau with the aim of recapturing Gibraltar from Britain.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints