Sir Joshua Reynolds
Sir Joshua Reynolds
by Robert Cooper, published by Henry Colburn, after John Jackson, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 24 June 1813 (circa 1747-1749)
Given by Mrs Masterman, 1964
Sitterback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 39 portraits, Artist associated with 1415 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Henry Colburn (1784 or 1785-1855), Publisher. Artist associated with 28 portraits.
- Robert Cooper (active 1795-died 1828), Historical and portrait engraver. Artist associated with 190 portraits.
- John Jackson (1778-1831), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 231 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Events of 1813back to top
Current affairsMachine breaking Luddite Riots end with seventeen executions in York. Radical John Cartwright's subsequent tour of the manufacturing districts has some success in quelling Luddite discontent with the foundation of the Hampden reform club network across the country.
East India Company is deprived of monopoly over trade with India.
Art and scienceMillenarian prophet Joanna Southcott, made famous by her visions of the second coming of Christ, announces herself 'with child' by the Holy Ghost.
Jane Austen publishes Pride and Prejudice.
InternationalVictorious Battle of St Pierre near Bayonne led by General Rowland Hill.
Battle of Leipzig ends in defeat for Napoleon.
Wellington's victory at Vittoria leads to British invasion of Southern France.
Americans capture and burn Toronto, defeat British in Battle of Lake Erie and recapture Detroit.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.