2 of 3 portraits of Henry Morse
after Unknown artist
pen and ink, (1645)
12 1/4 in. x 8 in. (311 mm x 203 mm)
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Events of 1645back to top
Current affairsFirst proposed by Sir WiIliam Waller, the New Model Army, the first national army consisting of full-time soldiers, is recruited by Parliament. Under the leadership of Thomas Fairfax, Commander-in-Chief, the Army decisively wins the battles of Naseby and Langport against the Royalists.
Archbishop William Laud is beheaded for treason.
Art and scienceAlexander Ross, clergyman and philosopher publishes The Philosophical Touch-Stone, an important refutation of the unorthodox Aristotelianism expounded by Sir Kenelm Digby in his Two Treaties.
Physician Daniel Whistler, presents his thesis on rickets at the Dutch university of Leiden, the first printed text on the disease.
InternationalCharles I commissions Edward Somerset, Marquess of Worcester, to secretly negotiate with Irish Confederates. For generous concessions the Confederates would raise an army to fight against parliamentarians. Ongoing, complex negotiations secure the signing of two treaties but the king eventually disavows the agreements and repudiates Somerset.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.