published by Alexander Browne, after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, circa 1684
13 5/8 in. x 10 in. (347 mm x 255 mm) paper size
Given by Mr F.W.B. Maufe and Mrs G.B. Lane, 1950
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Thynne (1648-1682), Courtier; husband of Elizabeth Percy. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Blue Balcony, Little Queen Street, London)
Events of 1684back to top
Current affairsJames, Duke of York's influence grows within Charles II's government; the Admiralty commission is abolished, allowing James to resume his role as lord admiral, in all but name. A new generation of Tories, supporters of James are bestowed with influential roles, including Sir George Jeffreys, recently appointed Lord Chief Justice.
Art and scienceItalian decorative artist, Antonio Verrio, is appointed 'principal Gardiner and Surveyor' to the King.
Author, John Bunyan, publishes the second part of his Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalLuxembourg surrenders to French forces. Renewed fighting between the French Bourbons and the Spanish Habsburgs had broken out the year before when French troops laid seize to Luxembourg and entered the Spanish Netherlands. Charles II rejects Spanish demands for assistance, determined to remain detached from the conflict.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints