after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published 1826
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- James Ward (1769-1859), Engraver and painter of animals. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 40 portraits.
Events of 1826back to top
Current affairsRiots break out in Lancashire against the use of the power loom, invented by Edmund Cartwright. The looms were gradually being introduced across the country, replacing large numbers of manual workers.
Art and scienceThomas Telford's Menai Straits and Conway Suspension Bridges open, the largest of their kind at the time.
InternationalCarl Weber arrives to live in England after his opera Der Freischutz is the hit of the London season.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints