by George Vertue, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1722
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Events of 1722back to top
Current affairsAtterbury Plot discovered; Francis Atterbury, Bishop of Rochester is accused of promoting the Jacobite rising. Other leading Jacobite sympathisers are also arrested and Atterbury is banished the following year.
General Election is won by the Whigs.
Art and scienceDaniel Defoe publishes his novel Moll Flanders which traces the redemption of Moll, a penitent prostitute, thief and American convict.
Writer and politician Richard Steele premieres his play The Conscious Lovers at the Drury Lane Theatre, London to great acclaim.
InternationalIn sweeping reforms aimed at modernising Russia, Peter the Great introduces the Table of Ranks; a new meritocratic order of precedence which aims to break the power of the hereditary nobility.
Dutch discover Easter Island, beginning a spate of European discovery in the islands of the Pacific.
Iroquois League of Native Americans becomes known as the Six Nations, after the Tuscarora join the group.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.