Queen Mary II
Queen Mary II
after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
mezzotint, after 1694 (circa 1690)
6 3/4 in. x 4 7/8 in. (171 mm x 124 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 97 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D7763: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D20344: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D11923: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D7758: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D31066: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D10665: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
- NPG D7759: Queen Mary II (based on same portrait)
Events of 1694back to top
Current affairsMary II dies of smallpox at Kensington Palace, William now rules alone.
Charles Montagu is appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer for his efforts in overseeing and assisting with the foundation of The Bank of England.
The Triennial Act is passed enforcing the contest of Parliamentary elections every three years.
Art and scienceBookseller, Jacob Tonson, senior and poet John Dryden, publish Joseph Addison's first major poem, An Account of the Greatest English Poets, in their collaborative series, Miscellany Poems, fourth edition.
Promoter of women's education, Mary Astell's publication, A Serious Proposal to the Ladies, advocates for women's education.
InternationalWilliam III captures Huy, restoring the allied position on the River Meuse and securing communications between the armies of the grand alliance on the rivers Rhine and Moselle and Spanish Netherlands.
A treasure fleet, including HMS Sussex, sinks in a storm off Gibraltar.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.