by John Faber Jr, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, (circa 1689-1690)
13 3/8 in. x 8 3/4 in. (342 mm x 223 mm)
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Robert Boyle (1627-1691), Chemist and natural philosopher. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1689back to top
Current affairsWilliam III is crowned jointly with his wife Mary II in Westminster Abbey in an unprecedented coronation of two monarchs.
The Bill of Rights is passed establishing the supremacy of Parliament, while limiting the power of the Crown.
Scottish Jacobites defeat Williamite troops at the Battle of Killiiecrankie.
Art and scienceThomas Shadwell, appointed poet laureate and historiographer royal, replaces John Dryden, his literary adversary.
John Riley and Godfrey Kneller are jointly appointed principal painter to the king.
Composer Henry Purcell presents his opera, Dido and Aeneas, at Josias Priest's girls' school.
InternationalSupported by Irish Catholics, deposed James II lands in Ireland with French troops commanded by Duc de Lauzun. Within months, James and Jacobite, Richard Talbot, Earl of Tyrconnel convene the 'Patriot Parliament' which re-establishes Catholics into government and repeals the Act of Settlement (1652), restoring confiscated lands to Catholic owners.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- The artist's porte-crayon
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.