after Unknown artist
woodcut, published 1612
6 1/4 in. x 4 3/8 in. (159 mm x 111 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- John Whitgift (1530?-1604), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Archbishop of Canterbury from 1583 to 1604, Whitgift was a vigorous defender of Anglican liturgy. This woodcut appeared in The Life of the most Reverend and Religious prelate John Whitgift, Lord Archbishop of Canterbury by Sir George Paulet (1563-1635), printed in London in 1612.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1612back to top
Current affairsAged 18, Henry, Prince of Wales dies suddenly, probably from typhoid, sparking widespread mourning throughout the country, and abroad. James I's second son, Charles, becomes heir apparent.
Edward Wightman, a Baptist and alleged heretic, is the last person to be burnt at the stake in England.
Art and scienceThe literary world memorialises Henry, Prince of Wales after his death. Among those who lamented the loss of the popular prince were John Donne and Sir Walter Ralegh.
Thomas Shelton's English translation of the first half of Don Quixote is published, the first translation of the novel into any language.
InternationalThe betrothal of James I's daughter, Princess Elizabeth, to Frederick, elector palatine, strengthens the Protestant union made between England and German princes under Frederick, concluded earlier in the year.
East India Company claims victory against the Portuguese in the Battle of Swally off the coast of Suvali, India.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
From 26 July
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30