by Edward Taylor, by Richard Taylor, published by Illustrated London News, after a photograph by J. Stuart, after an intermediary drawing by Thomas Dewell Scott
wood engraving, published 19 April 1873
Artistsback to top
- Illustrated London News (active 1842-2003), Publisher. Artist associated with 82 portraits.
- Thomas Dewell Scott (1828-1911), Painter and wood engraver. Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- J. Stuart (active 18th century). Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Edward Taylor (active 1872-1901), Wood engraver. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- Richard Taylor (active 1871-1901), Wood engraver. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Events of 1873back to top
Current affairsThe public entertainment centre Alexandra Palace, designed by architect Owen Jones (associated with the Crystal Palace) and built between Wood Green and Muswell Hill in North London, burns down within sixteen days of opening. Named after Alexandra of Denmark, married to Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales, the palace was quickly rebuilt, and has since been used as a transmission centre for the BBC, and as a musical entertainment venue.
Art and scienceEdith Coleridge edits her late mother Sara Coleridge's Memoir and Letters. Sara, the daughter of the poet and philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was an author, translator and editor of her father's works.
InternationalInspired by prospectors' demands for better quality trousers during the 1850s Gold Rush, Levi Strauss develops a trouser made with twilled cotton cloth from France called 'serge de Nimes', later known as denim. This year, he patents the process of putting rivets in the trousers for strength, introducing 'blue jeans' to the world.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.