by Charles Turner, published by Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co, after Edward Francisco Burney
mezzotint, published 16 May 1840
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- Frances d'Arblay ('Fanny Burney') (1752-1840), Diarist and novelist; daughter of Charles Burney. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Francisco Burney (1760-1848), Artist and cousin of Frances d'Arblay ('Fanny Burney'). Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co (active 1830-1890), Printsellers and publishers. Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 620 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1840back to top
Current affairsVictoria marries her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; he is given the title of Prince Consort.
The Penny Black stamp is introduced by Rowland Hill; the first pre-paid, self-adhesive stamp, it marks the start of the modern postal system.
The start of the Irish potato famine, which by the time of its peak in 1851, had caused the deaths of one million, and contributed to the sharp rise of emigration from Ireland to England and America.
Art and scienceBeau Brummel, the fashion leader responsible for sparking the culture of 'Dandyism', dies of syphilis.
The first stone is laid on the new Houses of Parliament, based on the gothic designs by the architects Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin. The old buildings had burned down in 1834, following a blaze caused by burning wooden tallies used by the Exchequer to calculate tax.
InternationalThe Afghans surrender to Britain during the Afghan-British war (1839-42). The war was sparked by British fear over Russian influence in Afghanistan, with the British East India Company resolving to depose the Afghan leader, Dost Muhammad, who was insistent on Afghan independence, and restore the former leader Shoja Shah.
The Maoris yield sovereignty of New Zealand under the Treaty of Waitangi.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Brilliant Women
- The Bluestockings circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Fanny Burney <> Luigi Marchesi
- Only Connect - Fanny Burney <> Charles Burney
- Only Connect - installation video
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Sir Henry Charles Englefield
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints