14 of 28 portraits of Lancelot Andrewes
by Wenceslaus Hollar, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1643
4 7/8 in. x 2 7/8 in. (124 mm x 75 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1643back to top
Current affairsSigning of the Solemn League and Covenant. The treaty forms an alliance between the English Parliament and Scottish Covenanters. Sir Henry Vane emerges as the leading spokesman of the English delegation.
The Westminster Assembly, comprising of clergymen and politicians, is appointed by the Long Parliament to restructure the Anglican Church.
Art and scienceThe authorised version of Religio Medici (A Doctor's Religion), by Norwich physician Sir Thomas Browne, is published. A type of personal memoir, the work gained Browne a European reputation.
Parliament issues a licensing order stipulating that all books are examined prior to publication, inciting John Milton to write Areopagitica, 1644.
InternationalAged four, Louis XIV inherits the French throne. He would become the longest reigning monarch in European history.
Charles I orders James Butler, Duke of Ormonde, to arrange a ceasefire with the Catholics Confederates in Ireland, allowing Ormonde's Irish troops to fight against the Parliamentarians in England.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints