2 of 3 portraits of St Anselm
after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1584
8 in. x 6 in. (205 mm x 152 mm)
Sitterback to top
- St Anselm (circa 1033-1109), Abbot of Bec and Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Events of 1584back to top
Current affairsExpulsion oft he Spanish ambassador to England for his part in the Throckmorton Plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth I.
Parliament passes legislation to expel all Jesuits from England.
The explorer Sir Walter Ralegh renews his half-brother Sir Humphrey Gilbert's patent to explore and colonise North America.
Art and scienceSir Walter Mildmay established Emmanuel College, Cambridge, to train Protestant preachers.
InternationalAssassination of William of Orange, leader of the Dutch rebellion against Philip II of Spain. His son, Maurice of Nassau, succeeds him as Prince of Orange and stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht.
Death of François, Duke of Anjou. The Protestant Henry of Navarre becomes heir to the French crown.
Death of Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia. Succeeded by his son Feodor, power lies in the hands of Feodor's brother-in-law, Boris Godunov.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.