Ninette de Valois
7 of 26 portraits of Ninette de Valois
Ninette de Valois
by Bassano Ltd
bromide print, 25 August 1920
Sitterback to top
- Dame Ninette de Valois (Edris Stannus) (1898-2001), Founder and Director of the Royal Ballet; wife of Arthur Blackall Connell. Sitter in 26 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42740 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Britain 1960-1990
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection