Arthur Martin Leake
62 of 88 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'The Great War: Made in 1915'
Arthur Martin Leake
by Bassano Ltd
bromide print, 26 July 1915
Sitterback to top
- Arthur Martin Leake (1874-1953), Surgeon; recipient of the Victoria Cross. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this formal studio portrait, Martin Leake is shown wearing the British Army Medical Badge on his lapel as well as his Victoria Cross, Queen’s South Africa Medal and King’s South Africa Medal. A collection of photographs of and by Martin Leake, including studio and family photographs as well as prints and negatives relating to the First Battle of Ypres, has been made available online by the Wellcome Library.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross 1914-1918 (4 November 2017 - 24 June 2018)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1915back to top
Current affairsThe Times Newspaper reports that Britain's Army is suffering from a lack of Ammunition Shells, pointing the finger of blame at the Liberal government. The Shell Scandal forced Asquith to form a new coalition government, bringing Conservatives into the cabinet and demonstrating the need to gear the whole country's economy towards the war effort.
Art and scienceAs the threat from aerial attack increased, the decision was made to protect the national art collections by storing them in basements or in locations outside London. On 15th October the National Portrait Gallery under the directorship of Sir Charles John Holmes closed its doors to the public and removed paintings from the walls.
InternationalStalemate ensues on the Western Front and trench warfare begins as both sides take up defensive positions. While offensive strategies become futile, serious loss of life occurs with the first deployment of tanks and the use of poison gas.
Albert Einstein publishes his General Theory of Relativity, a model of gravitation and cosmology.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints