Sir Philip Louis Vian
Sir Philip Louis Vian
by Bassano Ltd
bromide print, 10 November 1944
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1944back to top
Current affairsLondon is hit by the V1 Flying Bomb. This weapon, developed by the German Luftwaffe and colloquially known as the 'Buzz Bomb', or 'Doodlebug', was the first guided missile and was used for attacks on targets in England and Belgium.
Art and scienceLaurence Olivier's epic film version of Henry V is released. Olivier directed and starred in the film, which was partly funded by the British government in recognition of its morale-boosting patriotic appeal. The cast included service men as Henry's army.
InternationalFrance is liberated from German-occupation following the Battle for Normandy. Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of occupied-France led by Field Marshall Montgomery, was the largest seaborne invasion in history, involving almost three million soldiers crossing the channel from England to France. Troops landed on the 6th June (D-Day), and Paris was liberated in late August.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Juliet Pannett: Chronicler of her Times
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints