6 of 6 portraits of Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild
by John Goto
MicroPiezo print, 1999-2000
38 3/8 in. x 91 3/4 in. (975 mm x 2330 mm) sight
Sittersback to top
- Sir (William) Eric Anderson (1936-2020), Educator; Headmaster then Provost of Eton College; Chairman of the Heritage Lottery Fund. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Drue Heinz (1915-2018), Philanthropist and writer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir (Philip) Christopher Ondaatje (1933-), Financier, writer, philanthropist and patron of the arts. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild (1936-), Financier and patron of the arts. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Vanni Emanuele Treves (1940-), Lawyer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Garfield Howard ('Garry') Weston (1927-2002), Businessman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Leonard Gordon Wolfson, Lord Wolfson (1927-2010), Businessman and patron of the arts. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (National Portrait Gallery, London)
Events of 1999back to top
Current affairsFollowing referendums in 1997, The Scottish Parliament is opened and Welsh Assembly established in 1999. The new Scottish Parliament has the powers to pass legislation and alter tax. The Welsh Assembly currently has less legislative authority but controls a budget for Wales and can amend legislation passed by Westminster.
The House of Lords Act removes all but 92 Hereditary Lords from the second chamber.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard and Marc Norman's film, Shakespeare in Love wins the Oscar for Best Picture. The film, starring Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Judi Dench, Geoffrey Rush, and Colin Firth, among other British screen stars, provides a fictitious account of the events that inspired William Shakespeare to write Romeo and Juliet.
InternationalNATO begins a bombing campaign against the government of Yugoslavia following the breakdown of the Rambouillet Accords that attempted to grant Kosovo autonomy within Serbia under NATO administration. After nearly three months of bombing, Slobodan Milosevic agreed to allow a peacekeeping force to enter Kosovo and the province was placed under a United Nations Interim Administration.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.