Sir Cliff Richard
16 of 30 portraits of Sir Cliff Richard
Sir Cliff Richard
by Michael Ward
bromide print, 5 April 1968
10 in. x 13 7/8 in. (254 mm x 351 mm)
Artistback to top
- Michael Ward (1929-2011), Photographer. Artist of 63 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1968back to top
Current affairsEnoch Powell delivers his 'Rivers of Blood' speech in Birmingham in opposition to anti-discrimination legislation and immigration from the commonwealth. The speech is usually regarded as racist and blamed for stirring up racial prejudice. Powell was sacked from the shadow cabinet as a result, but received considerable public approval at the time for his views.
Fay Sislin becomes England first black woman police officer.
Art and scienceBeaton Portraits is the first ever photographic exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Under the directorship of Roy Strong, the exhibition introduced a new, theatrical approach to display, and was so popular that the national press reported on the length of queues to get in and it had to be extended twice.
InternationalCivil unrest escalates in France as student protesters, joined by striking workers, clash with the police. The events came to represent the conflict between the new, liberalised, left-wing generation and the forces of authority and conservatism. French protests were mirrored by others abroad including the Prague Spring in Czechoslovakia, where political liberalisation was achieved for a few months before the country was invaded by the Soviet Union.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Michael Ward - NPG x88957
- Michael Ward - NPG x76660
- Michael Ward - NPG x 46680
- Michael Ward - NPG x88956
- Michael Ward - NPG x46558
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- Michael Ward - NPG x88842
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Michael Ward - NPG x46674
- Michael Ward - NPG x88647
- Michael Ward - NPG x76661
- Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Michael Ward - Biography
- Sixties Style: Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.