by Michael Ward
bromide print, 26 July 1967
9 3/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (238 mm x 353 mm)
Artistback to top
- Michael Ward (1929-2011), Photographer. Artist of 63 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Photographed for and published in the Sunday Times on the day before the result of the appeal of The Rolling Stones drugs conviction. The picture caption described her as "twenty years old, with incredibly long legs, and a lovely smile..."
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 242
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, Marylebone Road, London)
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- She Bop
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Michael Ward - NPG x88957
- Michael Ward - NPG x76660
- Michael Ward - NPG x 46680
- Michael Ward - NPG x46558
- Michael Ward - NPG x88956
- Michael Ward - NPG x88842
- Michael Ward - NPG x76661
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Michael Ward - NPG x46674
- Michael Ward - NPG x88647
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Sixties Style: Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Michael Ward - Biography
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints