28 of 28 portraits of Winifred Radford
by Unknown photographer
colour print, 1986
4 in. x 5 in. (102 mm x 126 mm)
Given by Sidney Buckland, 2001
Sitterback to top
- Winifred Radford (1901-1993), Singer and teacher of singing. Sitter in 28 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Photographed with the portrait of her by Meredith Frampton. The portrait by Frampton was commissioned by Radford's husband, Douglas Illingworth, a year after their marriage and was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1921.
Events of 1986back to top
Current affairsHampton Court Palace is devastated by fire. Much of the third floor and the roof of the building were destroyed, although, thanks to the courage of the fire fighters, only one painting and one piece of furniture were ruined.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, marries Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey.
Art and sciencePoems on the Underground, the brainchild of American writer Judith Chernaik, is launched by London Underground. A rolling programme of poems is displayed in tube train carriages, bringing contemporary and classic poetry to commuters.
The Independent Newspaper is first published.
Artists, Gilbert and George win the Turner Prize.
InternationalAn explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power station leads to nuclear meltdown in the reactor and causes massive nuclear contamination over Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, western Europe, the UK and Ireland, and even North America. The 2005 Chenobyl Forum attributed 56 direct deaths to the disaster and estimated that 9,000 people may die from some form of cancer as a result of exposure to radiation.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly