Julia Margaret Cameron
3 of 8 portraits of Julia Margaret Cameron
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Julia Margaret Cameron
by Unknown photographer
albumen print, circa 1868
7 5/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (194 mm x 115 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 114 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Shown dressed in her distinctive style, this photograph was given to the scientist Charles Darwin during his visit to her home 'Dimbola' in Freshwater on the Isle of Wight (now a museum) as the inscription on the mount indicates. During his stay, Darwin sat to Cameron, as did his brother Erasmus and Charles's son Horace.
Events of 1868back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Earl of Derby's resignation, Benjamin Disraeli becomes Prime Minister. However, following a near immediate Liberal election victory, he is replaced as Prime Minister by Gladstone. Gladstone sets out his mission to 'pacify Ireland'.
Separately, the first meeting of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is held in Manchester.
Public executions are abolished, and are moved from outside Newgate gaol to inside the prison.
Art and scienceWilkie Collins's The Moonstone published. Credited with writing the first sensation novel The Woman in White, Collins's claims another first here, as the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Herncastle diamond, is recognised as one of the first detective novels.
InternationalAn uprising against Spanish rule in Cuba sparks off the Ten Years' War, in which 200,000 lives are lost. Cubans in the eastern provinces unite under wealthy planter Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Another armed uprising takes place against Spanish rule in the town of Lares in Puerto Rico, known as the 'Grito de Lares'.
- Julia Margaret Cameron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints