Indian Royal Family group
1 portrait of Setu Parvati Bai, Junior Maharani of Travancore
Indian Royal Family group
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 15 June 1933
Sittersback to top
- Princess Lakshmi Bayi (Kartika Tirunal) (1916-2008), Sister of the Maharaja of Travancore; Chief Guide of the Travancore Girl Guides. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sri Padmanabha Dasa Bala Rama Varma, Maharaja of Travancore (1912-1991), Ruler of the Indian state of Travancore. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Setu Parvati Bai, Junior Maharani of Travancore (1896-1983), Mother of the Maharaja of Travancore. Sitter associated with 1 portrait. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1933back to top
Current affairsSir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion (or The Great Illusion) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and scienceBritish Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.
The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
InternationalThe Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints