by Renold or Reginold Elstrack (Elstracke), after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1615
7 1/8 in. x 5 in. (182 mm x 127 mm) plate size; 8 7/8 in. x 6 3/8 in. (220 mm x 161 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- EEBO (Early English Books Online), p. frontispiece
- Babinton, Gervase, 1549-1610, The workes of the Right Reuerend Father in God, Geruase Babington, late Bishop of VVorcester Containing comfortable notes vpon the five bookes of Moses ... As also an exposition vpon the Creed. The Commandements. The Lords Prayer. With a conference betwixt mans frailtie and faith. And three sermons. With alphabeticall tables of the principall matters to each seuerall worke, 1622, p. frontispiece
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1615back to top
Current affairsGeorge Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, is knighted and appointed gentleman of the Bechamber and replaces Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset, as the king's favourite. Buckingham would prosper under the king's patronage, advancing rapidly through the peerage.
The Somersets stand trial for the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury.
Art and scienceJames I produces Remonstrance for the Right of Kings and the Independence of their Crownes, in which he defends European kingship and directly confronts the papacy.
Architect Inigo Jones is appointed Surveyor of the King's Works and would hold the post for 27 years.
InternationalThe Spanish court send official articles to serve as a basis for negotiations concerning a marriage alliance between Charles, Prince of Wales and the Spanish king Philip III's second daughter, Maria Anna.
Marriage of French king Louis XIII and the Spanish Infanta, Anne, Philip III's eldest daughter.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 March 2020
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
23 August, 12:30