5 of 735 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Fleming Collection'
by Leonard Gaultier, after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1598-1641
4 3/4 in. x 5 7/8 in. (121 mm x 150 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Stapleton (1535-1598), Roman catholic controversialist. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1598back to top
Current affairsDeath of William Cecil, Lord Burghley. His son, Sir Robert Cecil (later Earl of Salisbury), replaces him as the dominant statesman of the age.
Battle of Yellow Ford: A force of Irish Catholic rebels under Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone routs the English army in Ireland.
Following raids on Dublin, Queen Elizabeth I is granted a loan from the City to finance troops in Ireland under Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex.
Art and scienceThe playwright Ben Jonson writes the comedy Every Man in his Humour.
William Shakespeare writes Much Ado about Nothing.
The historian John Stowe publishes A Survey of London, a unique account of the architecture, living conditions and society of Elizabethan London.
InternationalHenry IV of France passes the Edict of Nantes. Huguenots are granted freedom of worship and political equality with Catholics. The edict concludes the French Wars of Religion.
The Treaty of Vervins ends war between Henry IV of France and Philip II of Spain. Spanish forces leave France and Calais is returned to the French.
Death of Philip II of Spain.
Death of Feodor I, Tsar of Russia. His brother-in-law Boris Godunov seizes the throne.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints