by Elliott & Fry
half-plate glass copy negative, late 1920s
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Stephen ('L.S.') Lowry (1887-1976), Painter. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Indian Nobility in Britain
Until 15 December
- My Favourite Portrait by Christopher Bailey
- Derry Moore Photographs
- Artists in Close-Up
- L.S. Lowry
- Photographer in Focus: Derry Moore
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970