by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, 1954
7 1/4 in. x 4 3/4 in. (183 mm x 120 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Stephen ('L.S.') Lowry (1887-1976), Painter. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1543 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.
Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.
Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Picturing Friendship
Until 13 May 2019
- My Favourite Portrait by Christopher Bailey
- Derry Moore Photographs
- Artists in Close-Up
- L.S. Lowry
- Photographer in Focus: Derry Moore
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Private View
- Benjamin's Britain
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographs 1965-2006