© estate of Bob Collins / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Bob Collins
bromide fibre print, 1972
10 in. x 13 7/8 in. (255 mm x 354 mm)
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 47 portraits, Artist associated with 13 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bob Collins (1924-2002), Photographer. Artist of 220 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Picturing Friendship
Until 6 May
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Portrait of an Artist
- Private View
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Chinese Connections
- Coming Home: David Hockney
From 26 February
Cartwright Hall, Bradford