3 of 12 portraits matching 'lewis morley pauline boty'
by Lewis Morley
bromide print, September 1963
11 1/2 in. x 14 in. (293 mm x 356 mm)
Given by Lewis Morley, 1989
Sitterback to top
- Pauline Boty (1938-1966), Artist and actress. Sitter in 30 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Morley (1925-2013), Photographer. Artist of 306 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence, Lewis Morley: Photographer of the Sixties, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 September 1989 - 7 January 1990), p. 70
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Scandal '63: The Fiftieth Anniversary of the Profumo Affair (30 April 2013 - 15 September 2013)
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.
Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- My Favourite Portrait by Neil Tennant
- Lewis Morley Photographs
- Photographer in Focus: Anderson & Low
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- A famous pose
- Joe Orton
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Women's History Month
- Adopt a Portrait
- The Making of a Pioneer: Podcasts
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Private View
- Contemporary Women Artists
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.