by Lewis Morley
modern bromide print from original negative, September 1963
13 7/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. (353 mm x 303 mm)
Given by Lewis Morley, 1996
Sitterback to top
- Pauline Boty (1938-1966), Artist and actress. Sitter in 30 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Morley (1925-2013), Photographer. Artist of 304 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.
Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- My Favourite Portrait by Neil Tennant
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- A famous pose
- Joe Orton
- Lewis Morley Photographs
- Photographer in Focus: Anderson & Low
- Lewis Morley
- Duplicate of Joe Orton
- Duplicate of A famous pose
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Private View
- Contemporary Women Artists