26 of 47 portraits of Francis Bacon
by Francis Goodman
resin print, May 1971
10 in. x 8 in. (254 mm x 203 mm) image size
Given by Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1388 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Photographed at the time of his exhibition at the Grand Palais, Paris in his studio at 7 Reece Mews, South Kensington, London where he lived and worked for thirty years. Many of Bacon's photographers preferred to portray him in his studio, often including the extraordinary paint encrusted walls, and photographs, newspapers, books and catalogues that littered the floor and served as his source material. He said of it: 'I feel at home here in this chaos because chaos suggests images to me.'
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, 7 Reece Mews, South Kensington, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Francis Goodman: Back In Focus (22 April 2013 - 3 November 2013)
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs